Chicken Shawarma is a Middle Eastern Recipe and Nigeria’s version adds some flare it.You can prepare Chicken Shawarma using rotisserie, grill it outdoor or bake in the Oven. I choose to bake it in the oven today but grilling outdoors is also a way to go.
You can use Shawarma not just for wraps but for salad toppings, sandwiches, you can serve it over Rice and you can snack on it. Yum!
Chicken Shawarma (Nigerian style)
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
For The Shawarma Marinade:
- 2 lb Chicken Thigh, boneless
- 1 large red Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 Tsp Minced Ginger
- 2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Turmeric or curry powder
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp bouillon powder (optional)
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper (Minced)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or any cooking oil of your choice
- Salt or to taste
For the Shawarma Sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- A hint of Cayenne pepper (optional)
For the filling:
- 4 Hot dogs
- 1 ripe and hard Tomato sliced into strips
- 1 small red Onion sliced into strips
- 1/4 lb Cucumber sliced into strips
- 1/4 of a ball of small Lettuce, little pieces
- 4 large Tortilla Wraps
- Marinate the Chicken – Wash and pat dry the chicken.
- Add all the Spices to the Chicken and mix very well.
- Cover with a plastic wrap or a tight lid and leave in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Grill The Shawarma – Lay the Chicken pieces on a oven grill Pan, transfer to a 425°F and bake for 25 minutes.
- Check to make sure it’s cooked through and char it for about 1 to 2 minutes just to make it darker (if you choose)
- Prepare the Shawarma Sauce- Mix the Ketchup, Mayonnaise and Cayenne pepper together (if you choose) and set aside.
- Serve the Shawarma – Wash and slice all the Vegetables
- Spread the Mayonnaise and Ketchup mixture on the Tortilla wrap
- Layer the vegetables, Shawarma Chicken and Hot dog on the wrap, then add a little more sauce on it and roll it.
- Place the rolled wrap on a heavy bottom skillet or a grill and brown the wrap (optional) enjoy!
- You can replace Chicken with either Turkey, Beef, Veal, Lamb, Goat or a mixture of two or more of these meats.
- You can also skip Hot dog if you prefer. Some also like to add French fries in theirs.
- I used Tortilla wraps for this recipe, but other flat breads such as Chapati, Pita bread or Roti will work well.
- Make sure to pat dry the Chicken before adding the spices because excess water in the Chicken will water down the spices.
- I used boneless and skinless chicken thighs because it yields a nice taste and texture after cooking (my own opinion). Chicken breast or chicken thigh meat will work just as well.
- You can skip the seasoning powder if you want to just replace with about 1/4 to 1/2 Tsp of salt or simply add salt to taste.