The Nigerian Fish Roll is one of our popular street foods in Nigeria and they are very easy to make. I know there are couple of snacks called Fish Roll recipe but the Nigerian Fish roll is quite different. It is simply a snack made of a pastry dough which is quite similar to the Nigerian Meat pie and the Nigerian Chicken Pie Pastry and wrapped in a spicy Fish filling.
These Fish rolls are fried till golden brown and stuffed with Fish, Onions, green Onions and a bit of cayenne pepper for some heat. It can be eaten as a snack and it can serve as a starter for your party as well. It’s tasty and very easy to easy to make.
Watch video on how to make the Nigerian Fish Roll below
Note(s) on how to make the Nigerian Fish Roll
*We usually use Mackerel Fish in making our Fish Rolls in Nigeria but I discover Salmon Fish or Tuna Fish will work just as well.
**Don’t over spice the Fish, it will ruin the taste of the Fish Rolls. (Fish in general needs little spicing)
Ingredients For Making The Nigerian Fish Roll
- 2-1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 4 Tbsp Margarine
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt & 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 14 ounces Mackerel
- 6-8 Tbsp Water
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 Small Onions (finely chopped)
- Cayenne Pepper (To Taste)
- Enough Oil For Frying
Directions For Making The Fish Roll
- Mash the Fish together with the Onion, Green Onion and cayenne pepper together in a bowl and set aside.
- In another Bowl, add the Flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and margarine and use your finger to incorporate the margarine into the flour until it comes out crumbly.Add the Egg and mix it with the flour until it’s totally absorbed by the flour.
- Begin to add the water a little at a time until a workable dough is formed.
- Transfer the fish roll dough to a work surface and knead for about 3 to 5 minutes, then cover up the dough and leave it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/8th inch thick, then cut it out into small rectangles (this is dependent on how big you want your Fish rolls to be) and you don’t need to be perfect while cutting out the rectangles of the Nigerian Fish Rolls since it’s still going to be rolled – no one will see the imperfection.
- Take each of the cut out rectangle and fill it with 1 to 1-1/2Tbsp of Fish then tightly roll the dough and secure the tips a little bit to prevent the fish from spilling into the Oil.
- Fry the fish rolls in a preheated oil until it’s golden brown.
- Serve hot, warm or cold with your favorite drink. Enjoy!
If you like this Nigerian Fish Roll recipe, then, you might also be interested in checking out these other Nigerian pastry recipes: