There are a whole lot of plantain recipes and one of them is the Plantain bread/Cake. This bread is delicious and very easy to put together.
This cake is one of my favorite plantain recipes because of how easy it is to put together. However, care should be taken because, this bread, unlike the banana bread, tends to harden up fast but the Yogurt in this recipe helps to keep it moist for a longer period of time.
It is also very versatile and you can eat it for breakfast or dessert and even mid day snacks.
Is your Kitchen overstock with over ripe Plantains? Don’t trash them, make this cake, you will be glad you did. Have fun and enjoy!Print
Plantain Cake/Plantain Bread – An Easy Plantain Recipe
There are a whole lot of recipe that you can make with plantains and one of them is the Plantain Cake or plantain bread. The Plantain Bread is very delicious and very easy to put together.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 stick Butter/Margarine (113g or 8 Tbsp)
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 2 over ripe plantains
- 1/4 Cup Yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbp Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the Oven to 350 F
- Grease and Flour the Baking Pan and set aside
- Combine the Flour, Salt and Baking powder and set aside
- Mash or blend the Plantains
- Cream together the Butter and Sugar for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the Yogurt and cream it together. Add the eggs one at a time and cream together as well.
- Combine the wet ingredients together with the dry ingredient and fold a couple of times
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking Pan. Smooth out the surface of the batter and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hr or till a tester or toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- I used vanilla as my flavor today. However, you can use Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Allspice or any other flavor of your choice.
- As much as you want to add a type of flavor to your cake, these flavors should compliment the cake and not overwhelm it. Therefore, add just enough flavor and don’t mask the plantain taste in your Cake.
- The riper the plantain the sweeter it is, so you may need to adjust the quantity of your sugar based on the ripeness of the Plantain
- As much as you want to make sure the plantain is well mashed, it is best to leave it thick and lumpy. Try not to puree it. You can use a hand mixer like I did, it will do the job just fine. Likewise, you can use a Potato masher or fork but I will advise against blending it.
- Don’t over mix the batter otherwise, the cake will come out tough.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 375